There are many risk factors that prompt the development of cancer. Some risk factors are beyond the control such as inherited genes or family history. However, many factors can be controlled and if avoided can drastically lessen the probability of developing cancer. An essential way to prevent cancer is by practicing healthy dietary habits and maintaining a balanced weight.
According to cancer experts, nearly one-third of all cancer deaths are being caused due to poor diet, lack of regular exercise and obesity.
Connections Between Diet & Cancer
Scientific researches have proven that certain dietary practices directly associate with the development of cancer. The risk of developing cancers of lungs, mouth, digestive tract, esophagus, head, and the neck can be prevented when the diet is consistently rich in fresh fruits and vegetables. In contrast, eating foods high in saturated fats are linked to specific cancers such as gastrointestinal cancers.
Excess weight and obesity have been related to greater risk for cancers of the breast, colon, and rectum, pancreas, and esophagus.
Food intake to prevent cancer
So as to manage a nutritious lifestyle, it is vital to understand how foods are prepared and processed. Moreover, maintaining a well-balanced diet should consist of consuming a variety of nutritional foods, reducing the quantity and eating wholesome foods every day.
It is always crucial to be conscientious of food choices when you are achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. Follow these cancer diet tips for preventing cancer.
10 Cancer Diet tips for eating healthy
- Avoid or limit the intake of processed meat and red meat with added preservatives.
- Consume a wide variety of plant foods including fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, and whole grains. The less these foods are processed, the greater you benefit from their nutrients.
- Eat high fiber foods which help to clean the digestive tract before the development of cancer-causing cells.
- Consume food high in antioxidants, as they help neutralize free radicals that can damage cells. Antioxidants also offer other benefits like improving cardiovascular health.
- Limit the intake of saturated and trans fats which are mainly found in animal products such as red meat, cheese, butter, and ghee etc.
- Consume unsaturated or good fats like nuts and avocados.
- Avoid eating fried and packaged foods.
- Eat fish more often which is cooked in a healthy way.
- Drink not less than two liters of water throughout your day.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol.
In recent years, cancer therapies and treatment have progressed significantly. Countless patients have been cured, while other’s lives have been extended for longer than possible with advanced treatment options at Surya Global Hospitals.
Surya Global Hospitals at Kakinada – Best Cancer Care Hospital in Godavari Districts provides comprehensive cancer management powered by a multi-disciplinary team.